Marriage Licence

**Due to COVID-19 situation, the Town of Fort Frances is not currently performing any marriage ceremonies.  We are still able to sell marriage licenses - please contact us.

Getting married in Fort Frances?


An authorized official needs to marry you to ensure that a marriage is performed properly and legally. There are two types of marriage ceremonies performed in Ontario:

  • Religious marriage: a recognized religious official marries you.
  • Civil marriage: The Town of Fort Frances is pleased to provide marriage services.  Guidelines to follow (PDF).


Before you get married you need a marriage licence. Marriage Application Form (PDF)


When you get married outside of Ontario, your marriage won’t be registered in the province.

You need to follow the marriage license requirements from the place you intend to get married.


Check with the Canadian representative in the country you want to get married in. You may need to prove that you are not currently married and you may be required to apply for a marriage search letter.


  1. In Ontario, there are no residency or citizenship requirements or blood tests and medical certificates requirements in order to obtain a marriage licence.    However, you will be required to certify information under oath. Bring an interpreter to assist you if you do not understand or are not able to read English.
  2. Marriage Licences are valid for use anywhere in Ontario for 90 days from the date of issue.


In accordance with the Marriage Act, people 18 years of age and above can a marriage licence provided the completed application and additional required information is submitted.

If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you must submit a completed Consent of Parent or Guardian to Marriage Form signed by both parents or legal guardians when you apply for a marriage licence. You can also get a paper copy from the Municipal Clerk’s Office.

Marriage Consent Form (PDF)


To get a marriage licence each person must have two pieces of government-issued identification. One piece of ID must include a photo. Your ID must confirm your name, birth date and signature. If identification documents are in a language other than English, translation by an authorized translator is required.

The first piece of ID must be either a:

  • Ontario Photo Card
  • Current passport
  • Record of immigrant landing
  • Residency Card
  • Refugee Status followed by government issued photo ID 

Other examples of government issued ID:

  • Birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
  • Valid Driver’s licence


  1. You must hand in the completed application form to the Municipal Clerk’s office.
  2. It must be an original application signed by both parties.
  3. You must show the original ID or documentation from your absent partner.


Canadian Divorce

If you were granted a divorce in Canada from a previous marriage, you must bring one of the following with your marriage licence application:

  • Original Certificate of Divorce
  • Decree Absolute


  • Court –certified true copy of either document

Do not bring these documents, as they are not acceptable:

  • Photocopies of documents
  • Divorce Judgement
  • Divorce Order
  • Decree Nisi issued by the Court

Divorce Outside of Canada

If you annulled or dissolved your previous marriage outside of Canada, you must get permission from the Office of the Registrar General before we issue you a marriage licence.

To get permission, you or your lawyer must send the following by mail to

Office of the Registrar General

P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road

Thunder Bay, Ontario  P7B 6L8

One of:

  • The original Certificate of Divorce
  • the Decree Absolute
  • Court-certified copy of these documents. A court-certified copy means certified by the proper court office in the jurisdiction that granted the divorce or annulment.

If the documents are not in English or French include a translated copy with an affidavit sworn by the translator.

  • Statement of Sole Responsibility signed by both applicants for each divorce signed by both applicants. Get a paper copy at the Clerk’s Office or online at the Registrar General of Ontario. Statement of Sole Responsibility (PDF)
  • A legal opinion from an Ontario lawyer addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario.


When you get married, you don’t have to legally change your last name (surname). You can assume your spouses surname. If you would like to change your name you can:

  • Change your last name to your spouse’s last name
  • Use your spouse’s last name alone or hyphenated with your last name
  • You can use your spouse’s legal last name without legally changing your name, as long as it not for fraudulent purposes.

Legally change your name to your spouse’s legal last name

  • Change your last name within 90 days of your marriage for free
  • This does not change your last name on your birth certificate.

If you choose to have a hyphenated last name you can also select the order that they appear.

If you decide to change your surname, it is your responsibility to change your name with all relevant government departments and agencies.

To Change Your Last Name, You will Need:

A marriage certificate is a record of a marriage. It lists the date and place of the marriage, and names of the people who were married.

A record of solemnization of marriage is not the same as a marriage certificate.

Before you can get a marriage certificate, a marriage needs to be registered. The official who performed the marriage will do this by sending a complete and signed marriage licence to ServiceOntario. You can order a marriage certificate about 12 weeks after this happens.

If you are unsure if you need a file sized certificate or certified certificate, please check with the Ministry, government agency, or person requesting the document before you order.

For more information contact the Municipal Clerk’s Office:

Karyn Haney, Deputy Clerk

1-807-274-5323 ext 1212  


Elizabeth (Lisa) Slomke, Clerk

1-807-274-5323 ext 1215